Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog #6: EQ draft #1

1) What is your EQ?
What is most important in creating an awarding-winning publication?

2) Make sure we're all on the same page.
By "award-winning," I mean that the publication received a nationally-respected award such as the Gold Crown or Pacemaker for yearbooks, or National Magazine awards for magazines.
By "publication," I mean and solid, physical representation of journalism, namely a yearbook, a magazine, or a newspaper.

3) What are some possible answers to your EQ so far?
Some possible answers that I have come up with are the staff (including the editors or leaders of the staff), the theme or focus of the publication, and the mastery of design, writing, and photography. These are a lot of answers, though. I'm currently trying to narrow down my answers, or my EQ, to make my answers more specific.

4) What has been your most important source and why?
My most important source(s), as of right now, are looking at other yearbooks. Picking out what works and what doesn't. Understanding their failures and how to avoid them. Seeing what was a success and how to improve on it. I don't know that this counts as an official source, though, so I'll say the Walsworth Yearbooks website. They are a prominent competitor with our publishing company, Herff Jones, and they have many experts (including Crystal Kazmierski, Brady Smekens, and Karla Thompson) who have written multiple articles on how to improve writing, design, and photography. They also have written articles to help outline what works and what doesn't in the yearbook world.

1 comment:

  1. Why does it say publication instead of yearbook? Answers seem fine. You'll want to figure out how to get specific...that's why I'm confused about no mention of yearbook in your EQ. You are right that the yearbooks themselves aren't really sources (although models are important to the study of this type of thing...you might consider this as one of your independent tasks).

    ReplyDelete