Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blog #24: Independent Component 2

Log of hours

Pictures: 
The pictures above are pictures of what I had to do. The listography, which I had to keep up - this is the completed version, with everything checked off. Normally it says things like, "Headline too high, shift down 2 picas please?" "Proofread KiF copy, has mistakes" "Alignment on Roeder's senior ad" "and "1 blurb needed - waiting on Tyra Crump." The lists are, at the beginning of the deadline, about four times as long as the ones above, and things continually get added and subtracted from them over the course of the deadline. The next picture is a picture of the photo library - you can see how it is organized and just how many pictures we need to go through each time we do a spread. The third picture is how the design folder looks. Each deadline has 16 spreads, or 32 pages in it, which we arrange in the design folder. The last picture is a photo of the ladder. I decide what goes in the book. These are the spreads that made the final cut. (More to come)


Literal:
(a) I, Elissa Fultz, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work."
(b) I have completed the yearbook, a 128 page volume (complete with cover and endsheets) that I oversaw.


Interpretive:
I ran an elective, and spent over 20 hours a week on the yearbook outside of elective. The pictures will show you how much I did exactly, but I: read over copy, proofread, sorted photos, checked over designs, discussed with photographers and junior designers, discussed with the yearbook adviser, met with kids outside of class, kept up the listography (basically the giant list of what needs to be done), and checked over everything before uploads.


Applied:
I learned a lot during the process - what makes good design, writing, and photos, shortcuts you can take, the most efficient way to do certain things like check alignment on spreads, import pictures, skim through copy, and suchlike. I learned how to deal with people. How to get respect from colleagues and people who work under you, how to give constructive criticism without making people hate you, how to teach. I learned that good design is in the details, that everything requires perfection in order to make the end product beautiful (which is not always healthy). And, in the end, I think we made the most beautiful book we ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment