Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blog #23: Helping 2013

Who did you interview: Jazmin Morales
What day and time: April 26 at 12:40 PM.



1)  What ideas do you have for your senior project and why?
"Something medical related. I'm not exactly sure, maybe a specialty. I want to do something medical because that's what I want to do when I graduate. It’d be a good starting point."
Me: That sounds good, there's several people doing medical senior projects in my class (I gave her some names), but it can be really hard to find service learning.

She replied that she had already found her service learning, which lead into the next question.

2)  What do you plan to do to complete the 10 hours of service learning?
"I asked my doctor, so I’m thinking of volunteering in their office. I volunteer at a hospital, so I can go in and see patients and stuff."
Me: It's good that you already found it, a lot of people have a hard time with it because you generally have to apply for volunteer work, like, a year in advance or something ridiculous.

3)  What do you hope to see or expect to see when watching the class of 2012 present their two-hour presentations?
"I hope to see the format they do, and how they divide their time. I want to know what to expect when I have to present. Thirty minutes of presenting, and then three activities. And activities that aren’t too boring, and won’t make the audience fall asleep."
Me: Definitely look for the structure. It's pretty straightforward (I explained the structure), but it's good to see how different people handle it. Some people use speaker notes, some people use notecards. It's also good to see how people decorate their rooms.

4) What questions do you have about senior project?
"Do we get the 10 hours approved before we go into summer? And how much time do you spend in the presentation on different things? What were the most challenging things for you?"
Me: I don't know about the ten hours, that's new this year. For the presentation, they break it down into different parts (explained the time requirements for answers and such, as well as activities). The hardest part for me was definitely finding interviews. Also, science faire can be kinda tough. For you, you can probably come up with a procedure fairly easily, but it'll be harder to actually carry out the experiment. So, watch out for that. Especially if you want to go for county faire, you should start during the summer. Some people at county have been doing their projects for like, two years, and in collaboration with universities and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment