Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog #3: 5-minute presentation rough draft

Objective:
To help the class understand the concept of theme, and how it affects different aspects of the yearbook.

Procedure:
Because the students will not know what to look for if I don't explain to them what theme is, I will give a brief explanation of theme. I will touch on the different places where the theme is integrated into the book (such as: section titles, module titles, style of writing, etc.) [1 minute] I will then divide the class into 3-5 groups, each with their own yearbook (either a "My Paradigm" (2009-2010) or a "Know what I mean?" (2010-2011) book). Each group will have to find phrases that relate to the theme that are found within the book [2 minutes]. At the end, the class will share out what they found [1 minute].

Check for understanding:
Each group (or maybe one or two, depending on time constraint) will share what theme they had, which phrases they found within the book, and how it relates to the theme.

Materials:
  • 3 copies of both "My Paradigm" and "Know what I mean?"
  • Timer

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty ambitious for a max of five minutes. For this lesson, at least, try to go with a more speaker-directed approach. I think all of this will take longer than you think.

    The theme idea is great. The visuals are, too. How could you teach theme in the time you have.

    I do appreciate your hands-on approach.

    ReplyDelete