Monday, September 5, 2011

Blog #1: Senior project topic

1.) What is your senior topic?
Yearbook.

2.) Why?
Yearbook is really what has defined my experience at iPoly, and has basically been my life over the past two years. It has sucked up lunches and many after-school hours. It has stolen my weekends and breaks with editor meetings. It has kept me staring at a computer screen for hours on end, sorting images, measuring internal margins, cutting people out of pictures, fooling around with type, and designing spreads and division pages.
Yet, despite all of this time that has been absorbed by the giant sponge that is Yearbook, it is still what I look forward to during the week. When I walked into Strand's room last year and sat in front of a computer, poring over the tiniest details then stepping back to make sure the layouts flowed, I was in my element. I liked doing the work. Not to mention people praised me for it, which made it all the more enjoyable.
Last year, I was elected Editor-in-Chief for iPoly's 2011-2012 yearbook. This was also a factor in me deciding my senior topic; I already knew it was basically mandatory for me to have my senior project topic be Yearbook, but I didn't mind too much. It was honestly a bit of a relief - this is something that I enjoy doing, and I also wouldn't be distracted from Yearbook by my senior project this way. I could focus on making this year's book.

3.) What do you hope to accomplish after studying this topic all year?
My main goal is to take this year's book to the next level, and produce a beautiful book. The book has improved drastically from just my freshman year, even from just 2010 to 2011. I plan to keep this progress going in full force, and I hope that studying Yearbook this year will help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment